Monday, April 29, 2019

May 5, 2019 - Second Chances

Third Sunday of Easter  -  Year C


Reading I: 
Acts 5:27-32, 40b-41

Psalm: 30

Reading II: 
Revelations. 5:11-14

Gospel:  John 21:1-19

When we think of Peter, we are aware of his courageous, passionate nature. We hear him say, “I would be ready to go to prison with you, and to death.” (Lk 22:33).  However, he had a fearful side to him also. When he attempts to go to Jesus walking on the sea, he becomes fearful, begins to sink, and has to be rescued by Jesus. Then, during the Passion, he denies that he even knows Jesus because he fears what would happen to him
if it became known that he was a follower of Jesus.

In today’s Gospel, Jesus appears to the disciples for the third time. Again we see Jesus’ sensitivity to the feelings of people. Jesus knows the deep love that Peter has for Him. He is also aware of how terrible Peter feels about his denial of even knowing Jesus when he was questioned during the Passion. Peter also regrets, deeply, his abandoning of the suffering Jesus at the crucifixion.

At dawn, Jesus appears on shore of the Sea of Tiberias where Peter and his friends had been fishing the whole night and had caught nothing. Jesus asks them, if they have caught anything. When they answer, “No.”  Jesus tells them to cast the net on the other side.  Soon after, the net is so full that they can not pull it in. John is the first to recognize Jesus and says to Peter: “It is the Lord.” Spontaneously, Peter jumps into the sea to go to Jesus. The other disciples
follow in a boat, dragging the net full of fish.

When they climb out of the boat and onto the shore, they see a charcoal fire with fish on it and bread.  Jesus invites them to bring their fish and share a breakfast with Him. They realize that it is Jesus, and they join Him for breakfast. Jesus, knowing the heart of Peter, wants to give him a chance to make up for the fact that he had denied knowing him three times.

Jesus addresses Peter asking: “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?”  Peter responds, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus gives him a way of proving this: “Feed my lambs.”  Then, he asks Peter a second time: “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter responds again: “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus graciously gives him a way to prove himself by saying: “Tend my sheep.” A third time, Jesus gives him a chance to make up for his denials by asking him: “Simon, son of John, do you love me?”  Peter becomes upset saying: “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Finally, Jesus instructs him: “Feed my sheep.”

After the resurrection and the strengthening by the Holy Spirit, Peter stands up and in a loud voice speaks to the crowd: “Listen to these words, fellow Israelites! Jesus of Nazareth was a man whose divine authority was clearly proven to you by all the miracles and wonders which God performed through Him.” (Acts 2:22)

      In accordance with his own plan God had already decided that 
      Jesus would be handed over to you: and you killed Him by letting 
      sinful men crucify Him. But God raised Him from death, setting
      Him free from its power, because it was impossible that death 
      should hold Him prisoner. (Acts 2:23-24)

The people are upset and ask him what they can do. Peter responds that they should turn away from their sins, be baptized, and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Many are converted — about 3,000 on that day — and become dedicated followers of Jesus. Strengthened by the Holy Spirit, Peter ultimately gives up his life for his faith and his ministry for Jesus. 

Jesus, knowing the loving heart of Peter as well as his weaknesses, reaches out to Peter to give him a chance to make up for his transgressions. He does that for each of us too. He tells us “Whatever you do for the least of my little ones, you do for me.” We also can make up for our weaknesses by caring for our brothers and sisters and showing them kindness. The Lord knows how important that is for us too. Praise and thanks be to our loving and merciful Lord!

  Reflection Question:    How can I make up to the Lord for my personal failures to live up to His ideals for me?



Spanish Translation of Reflection Above...

Segundas Oportunidades


Cuando pensamos en Pedro, somos conscientes de su naturaleza valiente y apasionada. Le oímos decir: “Estaría listo para ir a la cárcel contigo y a la muerte”. (Lc 22:33).  Sin embargo, él también tenía un lado temeroso. Cuando intenta ir a Jesús caminando sobre el mar, se vuelve temeroso, comienza a hundirse y tiene que ser rescatado por Jesús. Luego, durante la Pasión, niega que incluso conoce a Jesús porque teme lo que le sucedería si se supiera que era un seguidor de Jesús.

En el evangelio de hoy, Jesús se aparece a los discípulos por tercera vez. Una vez más vemos la sensibilidad de Jesús a los sentimientos de las personas. Jesús conoce el profundo amor que Pedro tiene por él. También es consciente de lo mal que se siente Pedro por negarse a conocer a Jesús cuando fue interrogado durante la Pasión. Pedro también lamenta, profundamente, su abandono del sufrimiento de Jesús en la crucifixión.

Al amanecer, Jesús aparece en la orilla del mar de Tiberíades, donde Pedro y sus amigos habían estado pescando toda la noche y no habían capturado nada. Jesús les pregunta, si han atrapado algo. Cuando contestan: “No.” Jesús les dice que lancen la red al otro lado. Poco después, la red está tan llena que no pueden jalarla. Juan es el primero en reconocer a Jesús y le dice a Pedro: “Es el Señor”. Espontáneamente, Pedro salta al mar para ir a Jesús. Los otros discípulos lo siguen
en un bote, arrastrando la red llena de peces.

Cuando salen del bote y entran a la orilla, ven un fuego de carbón con peces y pan. Jesús los invita a traer sus peces y compartir un desayuno con él. Se dan cuenta de que es Jesús, y se reúnen con Él para desayunar. Jesús, conociendo el corazón de Pedro, quiere darle la oportunidad de compensar
el hecho de que él negó haberlo conocido tres veces.

Jesús se dirige a Pedro y le pregunta: “Simón, hijo de Juan, ¿me amas más que a estos?” Pedro responde: “Sí, Señor, tú sabes que te amo”. Jesús le da una manera de probar esto: “Alimenta a mis corderos”. Luego, le pregunta a Pedro por segunda vez: “Simón, hijo de Juan, ¿me amas?” Pedro responde nuevamente:  “Sí, Señor, tú sabes que te amo”. Jesús amablemente le da una manera de demostrar su valía. diciendo: “Cuida mis ovejas”. Por tercera vez, Jesús le da la oportunidad de compensar sus negaciones preguntándole: “Simón, hijo de Juan, ¿me amas?” Pedro se enoja diciendo: “Señor, tú saber todo; sabes que te quiero”. Finalmente, Jesús le dice: “Alimenta a
mis ovejas.” 


Después de la resurrección y el fortalecimiento del Espíritu Santo, Pedro se pone de pie y en voz alta le habla a la multitud: “¡Escuchen estas palabras, compañeros israelitas! Jesús de Nazaret era un hombre cuya autoridad divina le fue claramente demostrada por todos los milagros y maravillas que Dios realizó a través de Él”.  (Hechos 2:22)

      De acuerdo con su propio plan, Dios ya había decidido que
      Jesús te sería entregado: y tú lo mataste al dejarlo.
      Los hombres pecadores lo crucifican. Pero Dios lo levantó de la muerte, poniendo
      Lo libera de su poder, porque era imposible que la muerte.
      debe mantenerlo prisionero. (Hechos 2:23-24)

La gente está molesta y le pregunta qué puede hacer. Pedro responde que deben apartarse de sus pecados, ser bautizados y recibir el don del Espíritu Santo. Muchos se convierten, alrededor de 3,000 en ese día, y se convierten en seguidores dedicados de Jesús. Fortalecido por el Espíritu Santo, Pedro finalmente abandona su vida por su fe y su ministerio para Jesús.

Jesús, conociendo el corazón amoroso de Pedro y sus debilidades, se acerca a Pedro para darle la oportunidad de compensar sus transgresiones. Él hace eso para cada uno de nosotros también.
Él nos dice:  “Hagas lo que hagas por el menor de mis pequeños, lo haces por mí”. También podemos compensar nuestras debilidades cuidando a nuestros hermanos y hermanas y mostrándoles amabilidad. El Señor sabe lo importante que es eso para nosotros también. ¡Alabado sea nuestro Señor misericordioso y misericordioso!

  Pregunta de reflexión:    ¿Cómo puedo compensar al Señor por mis fracasos personales para estar a la altura de Sus ideales para mí?

1 comment:

  1. It seems as though I have a lot in common with Peter. Like Peter, I professed my allegiance to Jesus. I was courageous and steadfast in my faith, that is, until my first real temptation came along. Then I folded. To behave the way I did was nothing short of denying Jesus. However, I am blessed to be able to share that there is nothing as sweet as reconciliation with the Lord.
    As my awareness and trust in the compassion and mercy of Jesus grew, the shame of my former sins transformed into accountability for them; a sincere desire to never commit them again, and true repentance.
    I tried to hide my shameful past by intentionally avoiding talking about certain periods of my life. I did not want to be judged by others concerning my discreditable actions, nor did I want my current lifestyle being judged as inauthentic based upon my past. Believe me, God forgives; but sinful behaviors have lasting consequences.
    In my heart, I knew I needed to do something honorable for the Lord, testifying to His forgiving nature and the freedom that results from believing it, embracing it. Call it my response to Jesus’ request to feed His sheep that I began to open up those hidden areas of my life in conversations, when appropriate. Rather than leaving out pieces of my life (like missing pieces from a picture puzzle), I give the complete story. In doing so, I have ongoing opportunities to reflect on God’s amazing grace in my life while offering compassion and understanding to someone else going through a similar dark chapter of life. I want others to know that even if they have descended into the depths of their mistakes, God is there to lift them up. Resurrection and ascension are ongoing spiritual gifts granted to those of us who recognize that the physical “pleasure-lures” of the material world are lies that trap us. When we are ready to release our harmful behaviors, Jesus is there to strengthen us.
    I have grown adept at reading between lines. I notice missing pieces in the stories of others, and numerous times an otherwise casual conversation leads to an outpouring of pent up hurts, anger, fears. New friendships form, and sometimes in the midst of the shadows, a glimmer of light shows through. At a minimum, reminders of God’s goodness; promises of prayers; and a shared hope for change and wholeness are energies exchanged.
    Jesus knows my weaknesses. My return to light and spiritual life was nothing short of Divine Grace. I want to be instrumental in supporting others on their journey from shame to grace. Perhaps sharing is my chance to make up for my transgressions. I am here, Lord, to feed your sheep.



    ReplyDelete