Monday, May 6, 2019

May 12, 2019 - The Voice of the Good Shepherd

Fourth Sunday of Easter




Images by David Hadfield
Reading I: 
Acts 13:14, 43-52

Psalm:  100

Reading II:  Revelations
7:9, 14b-17

Gospel: 
John 10: 27-30

At the Last Supper, when Jesus is preparing the disciples for his departing from them, he tells them not be worried or upset because He is going to prepare a place for them in his Father’s house. He further explains that He will return and take them to Himself, so that  they will be where He is. Then He tells them: “You know the way that leads to the place where I am going.” (John 14:4).

Thomas responds, “Lord we do not know where you are going; so how can we know the way to get there?”  Jesus answers him: “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” (John 14:6).

If Jesus is the “Way,” we are to follow Him, by living as He did. It is noticeable that Jesus sometimes quotes or refers to passages from the Hebrew Scriptures. From childhood, He has been listening so deeply to the words of Scripture that He quotes or makes connections to them at special times in His life.

This is evident in some of the words of Jesus during his Passion, but also I can see the influence of  the words of the Prophet Ezekiel who quotes Yahweh (the Lord) referring to Himself in saying:

    As a shepherd keeps all his flock in view, when he stands up in the middle
    of his scattered sheep, so shall I keep my sheep in view... I myself will
    pasture my sheep, I myself will show them where to rest — it is the Lord

    Yahweh who speaks — I shall look for the lost one, bring back the stray,
    bandage the wounded and make the weak strong.  I shall watch over the
    fat and healthy. I shall be a true shepherd to them.
(Ezek 34:12, 15, 16).


In today’s Gospel we find Jesus describing his loving and caring relationship to His sheep also:
   
     Jesus said: My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me,
     I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them
     out of my hand.  My Father who has given them to me, is greater than all,
     and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand. The Father and I are
     one.” 
 (John 10:27-30)

As we try to follow Jesus, it is important that we study the prophecies and the wisdom in the Hebrew Scriptures, as well as the life and example of  Jesus and His followers in the Christian Scriptures. In moments of silent prayer, if we listen for what the Lord is saying to us through the Sacred Scriptures, we will find our path to heaven by following Jesus, the “Way”.  How blessed are we to have such a loving and caring God!!!
             
Psalm 23 English Standard Version (ESV)

The Lord Is My Shepherd

A Psalm of David


The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
   He makes me lie down in green pastures.

He leads me beside still waters.
   He restores my soul.

He leads me in paths of righteousness
   for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
   I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me 
   in the presence of my enemies;
my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
   forever.    
                                                 
 

  Reflection Question:    Some hear the voice of the Lord clearly in the Holy Bible. Others hear the voice of the Lord more clearly in Nature. Some hear him in the circumstances of their lives. Others hear him in music or art. Where and when do you hear the voice of the Lord most clearly?


Spanish Translation of Reflection Above...
La Voz del Buen Pastor


En la Última Cena, cuando Jesús está preparando a los discípulos para que se aparten de ellos, les dice que no se preocupen ni se molesten porque les va a preparar un lugar en la casa de su Padre. Además, explica que regresará y se los llevará a sí mismo, para que estén donde está. Luego les dice: Ya sabes el camino que lleva al lugar donde voy”. (Juan 14:4).

Thomas responde, “Señor, no sabemos a dónde vas; Entonces, ¿cómo podemos saber el camino para llegar allí?”  Jesús le responde: Yo soy el camino, la verdad y la vida”. (Juan 14:6).

Si Jesus es el “Camino,” debemos seguirlo, viviendo como él lo hizo. Es notable que Jesús a veces cita o se refiere a pasajes de las Escrituras hebreas. Desde la niñez, Él ha estado escuchando tan profundamente las palabras de las Escrituras que Él cita o hace conexiones con ellas en momentos especiales de Su vida.

Esto es evidente en algunas de las palabras de Jesús durante su Pasión, pero también puedo ver la influencia de las palabras del profeta Ezequiel que cita Yahvé (El Señor) refiriéndose a sí mismo al decir:

    Como un pastor mantiene todo su rebaño a la vista, cuando se para en
    el medio
 de sus ovejas dispersas, así mantendré mis ovejas a la vista ...
    yo mismo pastaré

    Mis ovejas, yo mismo les mostraré dónde descansar: es el Señor.
    Yahvé que habla: Buscaré al perdido, traeré de vuelta el camino perdido.
    Venda a los heridos y haga fuertes a los débiles. Velaré por la grasa
    y saludable. Seré un verdadero pastor para ellos. (Ezek 34:12, 15, 16).

En el Evangelio de hoy encontramos a Jesús describiendo su relación amorosa y afectuosa con Sus ovejas también:
 
     Jesus dijo: Mis ovejas oyen mi voz; Yo las conozco y ellas me siguen,
     Yo les doy vida eterna, y nunca perecerán. Nadie puede tomarlos
     fuera de mi mano Mi Padre que me las dio, es mayor que todos.
     y nadie puede sacarlos de la mano del Padre. El Padre y yo somos uno”.
    (Juan 10:27-30)

Al tratar de seguir a Jesús, es importante que estudiemos las profecías y la sabiduría en las Escrituras hebreas, así como la vida y el ejemplo de Jesús y sus seguidores en las Escrituras cristianas. En momentos de oración silenciosa, si escuchamos lo que el Señor nos está diciendo a través de las Sagradas Escrituras, encontraremos nuestro camino al cielo siguiendo a Jesús, el  “Camino”. ¡Cuán bendecidos somos de tener un Dios tan amoroso y amoroso!
             
Salmo 23  Versión Estándar en Inglés (ESV)

El Señor es Mi Pastor

Un Salmo de David

El señor es mi pastor; Nada me faltará.
   Me hace recostar en verdes prados.

Me lleva junto a aguas tranquilas.
   Él restaura mi alma.

Me guía por sendas de justicia
   por el bien de su nombre.

Aunque ande por el valle de la sombra de la muerte,
   No temeré ningún mal,
porque tú estás conmigo;
   tu vara y tu vara,
   me consuelan

Tu preparas una mesa delante de mi
   en presencia de mis enemigos;
mi copa se desborda

Ciertamente el bien y la misericordia me seguirán.
   todos los días de mi vida,
y habitaré en la casa de Jehová.
   Siempre.
 
  Pregunta de reflexión:   

Algunos escuchan la voz del Señor claramente en la Santa Biblia. Otros escuchan más claramente la voz del Señor en la Naturaleza. Algunos lo escuchan en las circunstancias de sus vidas. Otros lo escuchan en la música o en el arte. ¿Dónde y cuándo escuchas más claramente la voz del Señor?

1 comment:

  1. In a recent reflection, Richard Rohr wrote, “Prayer is settling into the silence until it silences us.” That statement describes exactly my need to enter into solitude. My daily quiet time is usually 4:00am to 4:30am. I do a series of spiritual readings, and frequently a word or phrase will strongly resonate with me. I recognize the spiritual principle contained therein and pray for the wisdom to incorporate it into my life. I become aware of the possibility for transformation, and my resistance to surrendering my will lessens as I connect to the Divine life within me.
    It is the silence that opens me to connect with God. I invite Him to be part of my day; to flood my heart with His Divine Light and Love. In the silence, I listen for Spirit’s whisper. Yet, rarely do I hear it in that moment. However, if I pose a question or express a concern during my time with the Lord, I may receive my answer later in the day or week through something I read, a conversation with a coworker, an observation, or in the words of a song played on the Christian radio station I listen to. I’m often delighted at how creatively God lets His will be revealed. I am confident that He listens to my supplications and I start my day with gratitude and peace.
    If I fail to carve out quiet time at the onset of my day, I tend to become a victim of the demands of others. Spending time with God in the silence of morning reminds me that I am a “being” – a spiritual being. The hours of the day ahead will require my “doing” things to meet the needs of others. By putting my need for connection with Spirit first, I am equipped to start my day nourished by prayer and reflection, and filled with anticipation that I will hear the voice of God in and through the people and events of the day.

    ReplyDelete