Monday, March 11, 2019

March 17, 2019 Transfiguration

Second Sunday of Lent C - Transfiguration

Reading I:  Genesis 15:5-12, 17-18

Psalm:  Psalm 27

Reading II:  Philippians  3:17-4:1

Gospel:  Luke 9:28b-36



This comforting quote from one of my favorite poets reminds us of our Heavenly Father’s constant care for his children. Again, our Gospel reflection is on the Transfiguration. As a loving parent, God prepares his children for what they will face in the future. The faith of the disciples needs to be solid to be able to deal with the Passion of our Lord. A glimpse of the glorious Jesus can sustain them when there seems to
be no hope.

Luke is the only one of the evangelists who mentions the conversation taking place between Jesus, Moses, and Elijah. As they talk about the upcoming suffering and death of Jesus, they confirm the connections between their actions and predictions recorded in the Hebrew Scriptures.  The disciples are so impressed with the vision that they want to set up tents so that they can experience the wonder of it all longer.

Then, a shadow of a cloud is cast over them. From the cloud a direct command from God the Father is heard: “This is my chosen Son; listen to Him.” Having been able to see the glory of Jesus in his transfigured form and to be reassured of the coming fulfillment of the promise of a Savior and redemption, the disciples have been given the support needed as they face the upcoming experiences of the sufferings and death of Jesus.

As an only child, many people tend to think that I had everything I wanted when I wanted it. However, in my mother's wisdom, she knew she was to prepare me for my life to come. When  I would ask for something, sometimes I received it and other times the answer was “No.”  She knew that in the eventualities of life I would not always have my way. I have often felt grateful to her for the many ways she prepared me for life. Usually, something better would result in the long run even when I had to live with a “No.”  Our Heavenly Father knows what is best for us, so it behooves us to trust in His providence.

Though the Mountains May Fall  by Dan Schutte

Refrain: 
Though the mountains my fall and the hills turn to dust,
Yet the love of the Lord will stand
As a Shelter for all who will call on His name.
Sing the praise and the glory of God!

Verse I:
Could the Lord ever leave you?
Could the Lord forget his love?
Though a mother forsake her child,
He will not abandon you.

Verse II:
Should you turn and forsake Him,
He will gently call your name.
Should you wander away from Him,
He will always take you back.

Verse III:
Go to him when you are weary;
He will give you eagles wings.
You will run, never tire,
for your God will be your strength.

Verse IV:
As He swore to your fathers,
when the flood destroyed the land;
He will never forsake you;
He will swear to you again.

 Reflection Question:  Can you think of a time in your life when something happened which disappointed you, but ended up being a blessing from the Lord?


Spanish Translation of Reflection Above...
Transfiguración


“Detrás de la oscuridad desconocida,Está Dios en la sombra, vigilando por encima de los suyos.” 
- Jaime Russell Lowell


Esta cita reconfortante de uno de mis poetas favoritos nos recuerda el cuidado constante de nuestro Padre Celestial por sus hijos. Una vez más, nuestra reflexión del Evangelio está en la Transfiguración. Como padre amoroso, Dios prepara a sus hijos para lo que enfrentarán en el futuro. La fe de los discípulos debe ser sólida para poder tratar con la Pasión de nuestro Señor. Un vistazo al glorioso Jesús puede sostenerlos cuando parece que no hay esperanza.

Lucas es el único de los evangelistas que menciona la conversación que tuvo lugar entre Jesús, Moisés y Elías. Al hablar sobre el próximo sufrimiento y la muerte de Jesús, confirman las conexiones entre sus acciones y las predicciones registradas en las Escrituras hebreas. Los discípulos están tan impresionados con la visión que quieren instalar carpas para que puedan experimentar la maravilla de todo esto por más tiempo.

Entonces, una sombra de una nube se proyecta sobre ellos. Desde la nube un comando directo desde Dios el padre se escucha: “Este es mi Hijo elegido; Escúchalo a él”. Habiendo sido capaces de ver la gloria de Jesús en su forma transfigurada y de sentirse seguros del cumplimiento venidero de la promesa de un Salvador y de la redención, a los discípulos se les ha brindado el apoyo necesario para enfrentar las experiencias venideras de los sufrimientos y la muerte de Jesús.

Como hija única, muchas personas tienden a pensar que tenía todo lo que quería cuando lo quería. Sin embargo, en la sabiduría de mi madre, ella sabía que debía prepararme para la vida futura. Cuando pedía algo, a veces lo recibía y otras veces la respuesta era "No". Ella sabía que en las eventualidades de la vida no siempre tendría mi camino. A menudo me he sentido agradecido por las muchas maneras en que me preparó para la vida. Por lo general, algo mejor resultaría a largo plazo incluso cuando tuviera que vivir con un “No”.  Nuestro Padre Celestial sabe lo que es mejor para nosotros, por lo que nos corresponde confiar en
su providencia.


Aunque Las Montañas Pueden Caer  por Dan Schutte

Estribillo:
Aunque los montes se caigan y los montes se conviertan en polvo,
Sin embargo, el amor del Señor permanecerá
Como un refugio para todos los que invocan su nombre.
¡Cantad la alabanza y la gloria de Dios!

Verso I:
¿Podría el Señor alguna vez dejarte?
¿Podría el Señor olvidar su amor?
Aunque una madre abandona a su hijo,
Él no te abandonará.

Verso II:
Si te conviertes y lo abandones,
Él suavemente llamará tu nombre.
Si te alejaras de él,
Él siempre te llevará de vuelta.

Verso III:
Ve a él cuando estés cansado;
Te dará alas de águila.
Correrás, nunca te cansarás,
Porque tu Dios será tu fortaleza.

Verso IV:
Como juró a tus padres,
cuando el diluvio destruyó la tierra;
Él nunca te abandonará;
Él te jurará de nuevo.


  Pregunta de reflexión:   ¿Puedes pensar en un momento de tu vida en el que sucedió algo que te decepcionó, pero que terminó siendo una bendición del Señor?

1 comment:

  1. My parents divorced when I was eight years old and life suddenly felt very empty. I missed my father terribly and, back in 1959 there was a stigma attached to coming from a “broken home.” I found it painful to hear these words, and worse, to be the receiver of moral judgement from my schoolteacher who I hoped would be sympathetic to my broken heart.
    Circumstances led me to my grandparent’s home where I lived from second through eighth grade. It was so nice living with them. Grand mom was a homemaker and grandpop took the train to work everyday. Grandpop really liked donuts, dunked in coffee, and all kinds of candy. I contribute my insatiable sweet tooth to him to this day. We went to church as a family on Sundays followed by breakfast at the diner. Pancakes and chocolate milk was my breakfast of choice for six straight years of Sundays. During this time I met my lifelong best friend. Ceilie was not influenced by the perception of my being flawed. She extended the warmth of her friendship and I felt whole again.
    I spent every other weekend with my dad. He moved into the third floor of his parent’s big old house in Philadelphia. His living space was unheated so I spent a lot of time next door where my aunt and her family lived. I got to play with my cousins and blended into their household. My cousins’ friends were always there as well so it was really a cool environment for kids. My Aunt Betty lived with my Aunt Doris because she had epilepsy and never knew when a seizure would strike. She was a loving and very patient “playmate,” who surely qualified for sainthood for putting up with such rowdy kids. My Aunt Doris was a professional singer. She and my uncle performed every weekend. Music became an enjoyable part of my life.
    I grieved the loss of a traditional family structure; however, I received blessings and grace beyond anything I could have imagined. I enjoyed a close relationship with my grandparents; they provided stability and served as a model of marital love. I delighted in an endearing friendship with my girlfriend that continues today. My aunts remained an integral part of my adult life even though my father died when I was twenty years old. My Aunt Doris encouraged me to befriend my childhood wounds and reflect on how my pain produced so much sweet fruit. With the wisdom that comes from living a long, Christ-centered life, she counseled me to release the “bitterness” that remained in my memory so that I would recognize the “better-ness” that such rich and enduring relationships and experiences contributed to my journey. That advice was so valuable because focusing on all that goodness has filled me with gratitude. Living in gratitude leads to a very satisfying, happy life.
    What I know to be true is that any challenges given to me are to assist me in reaching and living at a higher consciousness. Embracing these crosses is the path to my redemption.

    ReplyDelete