Monday, March 4, 2019

March 10, 2019 Temptations & Suffering

The First Sunday of Lent - Year C

Reading I:  
Deuteronomy 26: 4-10

Psalm:  91

Reading II:  Romans 10:8-13

Gospel:  Luke 4:1-13

In today’s Gospel, we are told of the temptations of Jesus. When he had fasted for 40 days and was hungry, the devil tempts him to change stones into bread. Then, the devil tells him that if he would bow down and worship him, he would be given all the kingdoms of the world.  Finally, the devil, trying to appeal to a desire for prestige, challenges Jesus to jump from a pinnacle to show that he would be saved by angels.

Jesus chose to take on the full human experience even allowing himself to be tempted. Because of this, we can know that he understands what we go through when being tempted. He also showed us how to resist temptations.

When I was younger, I used to think about the suffering of Jesus primarily during his Passion. Then, I would see the sufferings of my relatives, friends, and others who had lifelong, relentless, extreme sufferings and wonder why God would allow that kind of life experience for some. Others seemed to have had easy lives. It didn’t seem fair. However, in my later years, I have come to realize that much suffering is not visible. Only God knows the deep interior sufferings that many endure.

I also realize that just as our lives are a mixture of joys and sufferings, so was the human life of Jesus. Even his birth in a lowly cave which sheltered animals also included the loving embraces of Mary and Joseph.

The Church Year focuses on different aspects of the life of Jesus. During Lent, we will be focusing on the sufferings of  Jesus.

A comment my mother made has remained with me over the years. She had just come home on the bus after grocery shopping. (She had, had a very difficult life and was severely lame.) She mentioned to me that a lovely young girl had sat beside her on the bus and had been very kind to her. My mother’s observation was that “she must have had a lot of suffering in her life, otherwise, she would not have been so thoughtful.”

As I reflect on people I have met in my lifetime, I am aware of the great generosity of poor people who help others. They know what it feels like to be hungry and in need. I recall instances of parents with handicapped children reaching out to help other children. I know of couples who could not have a biological child of their own, adopting children and providing them with loving homes. God knows what he is doing, though it is difficult for us to understand at times.

If we want to have beautiful spring flowers, we know that both sunshine and rain are required. So too must we have joy and pain in our lives to grow and fully blossom.

 Reflection Question:  Why so much suffering? Can you think of any instance in which suffering produced “good fruit?


Spanish Translation of Reflection Above...
Tentaciones y Sufrimiento

En el Evangelio de hoy, se nos habla de las tentaciones de Jesús. Cuando había ayunado durante 40 días y tenía hambre, el diablo lo tienta a convertir las piedras en pan. Entonces, el diablo le dice que si se inclina y lo adora, se le darán todos los reinos del mundo. Finalmente, el diablo, tratando de apelar a un deseo de prestigio, desafía a Jesús a saltar desde un pináculo para mostrar que él sería salvado por los ángeles.

Jesús eligió asumir la experiencia humana completa, incluso dejándose tentar. Debido a esto, podemos saber que él entiende por lo que pasamos cuando somos tentados. También nos mostró cómo resistir las tentaciones.

Cuando era más joven, solía pensar en el sufrimiento de Jesús principalmente durante su Pasión. Luego, vería los sufrimientos de mis familiares, amigos y otros que sufrieron sufrimientos extremos de por vida, implacables, y me preguntaría por qué Dios permitiría ese tipo de experiencia de vida para algunos. Otros parecían haber tenido vidas fáciles. No parecía justo. Sin embargo, en mis últimos años, me he dado cuenta de que mucho sufrimiento no es visible. Solo Dios conoce los profundos sufrimientos interiores que muchos soportan.

También me doy cuenta de que al igual que nuestras vidas son una mezcla de alegrías y sufrimientos, también lo fue la vida humana de Jesús. Incluso su nacimiento en una humilde cueva que abrigaba animales también incluía los abrazos amorosos de María y José.

El Año de la Iglesia se centra en diferentes aspectos de la vida de Jesús. Durante la Cuaresma, nos enfocaremos en los sufrimientos de Jesús.

Un comentario que hizo mi madre ha permanecido conmigo a lo largo de los años. Ella acababa de llegar a casa en el autobús después de la compra de comestibles. (Tuvo, tuvo una vida muy difícil y estaba gravemente coja). Me comentó que una joven encantadora se había sentado a su lado en el autobús y había sido muy amable con ella. La observación de mi madre fue que “Ella debe haber tenido mucho sufrimiento en su vida, de lo contrario, no habría sido tan pensativa”.

Al reflexionar sobre las personas que he conocido en mi vida, soy consciente de la gran generosidad de las personas pobres que ayudan a los demás. Saben lo que se siente estar hambriento y necesitado. Recuerdo casos de padres con niños discapacitados que ayudaron a otros niños. Sé de parejas que no podían tener un hijo biológico propio, adoptar niños y proporcionarles hogares afectuosos. Dios sabe lo que está haciendo, aunque a veces nos cuesta entenderlo.

Si queremos tener hermosas flores de primavera, sabemos que se necesita sol y lluvia. Así también debemos tener alegría y dolor en nuestras vidas para crecer y florecer completamente.

 Pregunta de reflexión:  ¿Por qué tanto sufrimiento? ¿Se te ocurre algún caso en el que se produzca el sufrimiento “buena fruita?

1 comment:

  1. One of the travel destinations on my wish list is the Grand Canyon. I am in awe of its beauty. This amazing environmental wonder is the result of the ongoing actions of erosion, floods, volcanos, wind, heat and other harsh forces. As with nature, so too with human beings, “weathering” forms us into, what Matthew Kelly terms, the best version of ourselves.
    My immediate thought to your reflection question of good fruit being produced as a result of suffering was that of childbirth. Months of nausea, back pain, and edema, followed by long hours of labor were symptoms of pregnancy I experienced. Those discomforts were quickly forgotten the moment my infant was placed in my arms. Love, the depth of which words cannot detail, was present in my tiny five pound baby. That event ushered me into the transformative path of parenthood which continues to shape and mold me into being more of who I ever thought I could be. Decades of joys and sorrows, laughter and tears, have carved multiple valleys in my heart through which flow waters fortified with virtues such as patience, endurance, trust and faith. Selfishness expanded into other-mindedness.
    Likewise, a diagnosis can be transformative. My close friend, Jill, was diagnosed with cancer and I had the privilege of companioning her on that journey. Surgery, chemotherapy and radiation drained the life force from her body. However, she emerged from her suffering a much more focused and stronger person. Previously living life in the fast lane, she has recognized the importance of self-care. Jill strives for balance in her daily life to include times for meditation, exercise and proper nutrition and sleep. Today, she is a five year survivor who encourages other women along their healing path.
    Global suffering causes me immense sadness. I often feel as though my financial contributions have little impact on such large scale poverty and devastation. Sometimes I feel as though my prayers aren’t having much affect either. Then I remember that global needs are responded to with global caring. Millions of people are responding with material and spiritual resources. Together, we are nurturing the Body of Christ. God is everywhere present, and my suffering brothers and sisters are loved beyond measure by their creator. I recall a nun who taught religion in grade school saying that people who are living in poverty and being persecuted are truly the suffering Christ. Such reflection stirs emotions of humility as I have an opportunity to serve Christ by helping those who suffer in whatever way I can. I need to remember to focus on hope rather than on the problem, knowing that God has a purpose.
    One of the realizations that I carry with me is that every person on the planet has some longing in their heart and that my kindness and respect toward them might be the reminder they need of their belovedness in the eyes of God. I think of how God touched John the Baptist in his mother’s womb through the visit of Mary. Just as Mary carried Jesus in her womb, I pray that I will carry Jesus in my heart and be a vehicle through which He can touch the brokenness of others.
    Being a follower of Jesus does not protect us from life’s weathering; rather, it provides us with the opportunity to experience Him in the midst of our storms. And as nature reveals, it is the friction against the foundations that result in indescribable depth and beauty.

    ReplyDelete