Monday, March 18, 2019

March 24, 2019 Inspired to Share the “Good News”

The Third Sunday of Lent     Year C
Image copyright Freebibleimages.org
Reading I:  Exodus 17: 3-7
                 
Psalm:  95

Reading II:  Romans 5:1-2, 5-8

Gospel:  John 4: 5-42

While there are two options for the readings for the third Sunday of Lent, this year I have chosen to focus on the readings for the Mass at which those adults and children in the RCIA or RCIC programs will be prayed over by the congregation.*

Actress Helen Hayes shared an episode which took place before she was a star. At a party where there were many celebrities, she felt shy and sat in a corner alone.  A young man approached her and offered her some salted peanuts. As he offered them to her, he said “I wish they were emeralds.” Helen claimed: “That was the end of my heart; I never got it back.” Something similar happened to the Samaritan woman in John’s Gospel.

According to John the Evangelist, Jesus, tired from his journey, sat down by Jacob’s well around noon time. In this parched land, one can literally die of heat stroke and thirst. This is usually the time when one rests until the heat lessens
a bit. 

A Samaritan woman comes by to draw water. Jesus asks her for a drink. She is totally startled by his request. First of all, Jesus is speaking to a woman, which was not customary to do in that society. Secondly, the Samaritans are despised by most Jews because they are of mixed race, and of a different religion. 

The woman responds to Jesus: “How can you, a Jew, ask me a Samaritan woman for a drink?...Jews use nothing in common with Samaritans.” Jesus answers, “If you knew the gift of God and who is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked Him and He would have given you living water.” The woman responds, “You do not even have a bucket and the cistern is deep; where then can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob who gave us this cistern and drank from it himself with his children and his flocks?” Jesus replies,
Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again; but whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”  The woman pleads: “Sir, give me this water, so that I may not be thirsty or have to keep coming here to draw water.”

Jesus replies, “Go call your husband and come back.” The woman responds,
“I do not have a husband.” Jesus answers,“You are right in saying, ‘I do not have
a husband.’ For you have had five husbands, and the one you have now is not
your husband.”

Startled, the woman says, “I can see that you are a prophet. Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain; but you people say that the place to worship is in Jerusalem.” ...Jesus responds: “God is spirit and those who worship him must worship him in spirit and truth.” The woman replies, “I know that the Messiah
is coming, the one called the Christ; when He comes, He will tell us everything.” 
Jesus responds, “I am He, the one speaking with you.”

What joy must have filled her heart! She hastens into the town saying to the people. “Come see a man who told me everything I have done. Could He possibly be the Christ?”  Because of the testimony of the woman, many came to believe
in Him. 

Once being offered a special gift by Jesus, the woman is converted, gives Him her heart and spreads the “good news” to all she meets. She is never the same again.

 Reflection Question:  Can you recall an encounter,  a gift, or an experience that caused you to never be the same again?

* The RCIA  program is the preparation for adults who wish to join the Catholic Church.  It is also for those who have been baptized, but have not received all the Sacraments, or have been away from the Church and want to be updated. 
  
 In addition, this program is available to non-Catholic Christians interested in exploring the possibility of becoming Catholic. Some baptisms, received in mainstream Protestant denominations, are accepted by the Catholic Church, so the person just needs to make a profession of faith in the Catholic Church and receive the other Sacraments. 

 The RCIC program is for children who are older and were not baptized as babies or younger children.  It is also for older children who did not receive First Communion, Reconciliation or Confirmation at the usual 
ages.

More information is available in parish churches.


Spanish Translation of Reflection Above...
Inspirado para compartir las “Buenas Noticias”

Si bien hay dos opciones para las lecturas del tercer domingo de Cuaresma, este año he elegido centrarme en las lecturas de la Misa en las que la congregación orará por aquellos adultos y niños en los programas RICA o RCIC. *

La actriz Helen Hayes compartió un episodio que tuvo lugar antes de que fuera una estrella. En una fiesta donde había muchas celebridades, se sentía tímida y se sentaba sola en un rincón. Un joven se le acercó y le ofreció unos cacahuetes salados. Mientras se las ofrecía a ella, dijo Ojalá fuesen esmeraldas”, Helen afirmó:Ese fue el final de mi corazón; Nunca lo recuperé”. Algo similar le sucedió a la mujer samaritana en el Evangelio de Juan.

De acuerdo con Juan el Evangelista, Jesús, cansado de su viaje, se sentó junto al pozo de Jacob alrededor del mediodía. En esta tierra seca, uno puede literalmente morir de insolación y sed. Este suele ser el momento en que uno descansa hasta que el calor disminuye un poco.

Una mujer Samaritana viene a sacar agua. Jesús le pide una bebida. Ella está totalmente sorprendida por su petición. En primer lugar, Jesús le está hablando a una mujer, lo que no se acostumbraba a hacer en esa sociedad. En segundo lugar, los samaritanos son despreciados por la mayoría de los judíos porque son de raza mixta y de una religión diferente.

La mujer responde a Jesús: “¿Cómo puedes tú, un judío, pedirme a una samaritana una bebida? ... Los judíos no usan nada en común con los samaritanos”. Jesús responde: “Si conocieras el don de Dios y quién está diciendo a ti, ‘Dame una bebida’, le hubieras preguntado y Él te habría dado agua viva”. La mujer responde: “Ni siquiera tienes un cubo y la cisterna es profunda; ¿De dónde entonces puedes conseguir esta agua viva? ¿Eres más grande que nuestro padre Jacob que nos dio esta cisterna y bebió de él mismo con sus hijos y sus rebaños?” Jesús responde: “Todos los que beban esta agua volverán a tener sed; mas el que bebiere del agua que yo daré, no tendrá sed jamás; el agua que daré se convertirá en él en un manantial de agua que brota de la vida eterna”. La mujer suplica: “Señor, dame esta agua para que no tenga sed o tenga que seguir viniendo aquí para sacar agua”.

Jesús responde: “Ve, llama a tu marido y vuelve”. La mujer responde: “No tengo marido”. Jesús responde: “Tienes razón al decir: ‘No tengo marido’. Porque has tenido cinco. Esposos, y el que tienes ahora no es tu marido”.

Sorprendida, la mujer dice: Puedo ver que eres un profeta. Nuestros antepasados adoraban en esta montaña; pero ustedes dicen que el lugar para adorar está en Jerusalén. ...Jesús responde: Dios es espíritu y los que lo adoran deben adorarlo en espíritu y en verdad”. La mujer responde, Sé que el Mesías viene, el llamado el Cristo; cuando venga, nos lo dirá todo”. Jesús responde, Yo soy el que habla contigo”.

¡Qué alegría debe haber llenado su corazón! Ella se apresura a entrar al pueblo diciendo a la gente. Ven a ver a un hombre que me contó todo lo que he hecho. ¿Podría posiblemente ser el Cristo?  Debido al testimonio de la mujer, muchos llegaron a creer en él.

Una vez que Jesús le ofreció un regalo especial, la mujer se convierte, le entrega su corazón y transmite las “buenas nuevas” a todos los que se encuentra. Ella nunca volverá a ser la misma.

  Pregunta de reflexión:   ¿Puedes recordar un encuentro, un regalo o una experiencia que hizo que nunca volvieras a ser el mismo?

* El programa RICA es la preparación para adultos que desean unirse a la Iglesia Católica. También es para aquellos que han sido bautizados, pero no han recibido todos los Sacramentos, o han estado fuera de la Iglesia y desean ser actualizados.

Además, este programa está disponible para los cristianos no católicos interesados en explorar la posibilidad de convertirse en católicos. Algunos bautismos, recibidos en las denominaciones protestantes de la corriente principal, son aceptados por la Iglesia Católica, por lo que la persona solo necesita hacer una profesión de fe en la Iglesia Católica y recibir los otros Sacramentos.

El programa RCIC es para niños que son mayores y no fueron bautizados cuando eran bebés o niños más pequeños. También es para niños mayores que no recibieron la Primera Comunión, la Reconciliación o la Confirmación en las edades habituales.

Más información está disponible en las iglesias parroquiales.

1 comment:

  1. It has been more than twenty years since I had the conversation that led me to transform a toxic belief that was causing “dis-ease” in my relations with others. I attended an inter-faith prayer service. Afterwards everyone was invited to the church hall for refreshments and fellowship. I was drawn to a woman who radiated welcoming joyful warmth. We exchanged introductions and found ourselves sharing our stories. Anna was in her early 70’s and was married to her husband for 40 plus years. He did not accompany her to any activities because he was a recluse, never leaving the house for over fifteen years. I asked how she could be so exuberant. Her response forever changed my life because it caused me to examine my (unreasonable) expectations of others.
    Anna expressed disappointment that her husband never goes anywhere with her. Though their relationship deteriorated, she chose to stay married. I found her to be very consciously evolved. Anna acknowledged her deep needs for intimacy and connection and, rather than getting angry with her husband, she satisfied those needs by forming close, life-affirming friendships in her church and community. She also volunteered twenty hours a week in the Neonatal Intensive Care unit of a hospital in an impoverished neighborhood where she rocked babies born of drug addicted mothers. Many of these newborns experience painful withdrawal symptoms and other health problems. Anna’s love soothed their distress. Anywhere there was a need, Anna was of service to others. She lived a very satisfying, caring life. When I left the church that night, I wished that I had met Anna years before. Maybe my marriage would have endured had I recognized that it was erroneous to place the responsibility for my happiness on another person.
    The more I thought about it, I became aware of other situations in which I burdened relationships with my displaced needs. I needed my mother to be compassionate to my woes, whether with my marriage, the kids, or my job. I was repeatedly disillusioned when she bombarded me with a hostile list of “shoulds.” I needed my friends to “be there” for me; the babysitter to always be available; the family therapist to make the kids behave; the cat to snuggle in my lap so I’d have a needed warm, fuzzy feeling; my father to stop drinking so his alcoholism wouldn’t take him from me.
    The idea that happiness is an inside job eluded me for the longest time. I looked to others for security, comfort and fulfillment. Going within to contemplate my needs was unfamiliar and felt scary. Nevertheless, after my encounter with Anna, I started to practice naming my needs and seeking the wisdom of Spirit to discover how to best satisfy them. Descending into the depths of my soul, I came to understand that my needs for authentic peace, joy and intimacy can only be satisfied in relationship with Jesus. He knows me and He alone can guide me to fulfillment. Moreover, since my resolutions are in alignment with God’s plan for my life, I have a clearer focus and I am at peace.
    I believe that my meeting Anna that night was divinely ordained. Today, I can attest that God’s grace fulfills my every need – no exception; no disappointment.

    ReplyDelete