Monday, September 10, 2018

Sept. 16, 2018 Take Up Your Cross

The Twenty-Fourth Sunday of Ordinary Time - Year B


Reading I:  Isaiah 50:5-9a

Psalm:  116  

Reading II:  James 2:14-18

Gospel:  Mark 8:27-35    

In this Sunday’s Gospel, we find Jesus beginning to prepare the disciples for the Passion. First, he attempts to strengthen their faith in him by asking...“Who do you say that I am?” Being asked to respond to that question, one needs to touch into the depths of one’s soul. One needs to reach for the truth that lies deep within. Peter, the spokesman for the twelve, exclaims, “You are the Christ.”

Jesus knew the disciples needed strong faith to accept what He was about to
teach them. Can you imagine how startled they must have been when Jesus told them that He must “suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and rise after three days.”? Even though the Scriptures had foreshadowed this, as humans we naturally don’t typically like to think about suffering. Spontaneously, Peter rebukes Jesus for
even mentioning this. 

Jesus responds forcefully, “Get behind me, Satan. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.” Jesus then gathers a crowd with his disciples and proclaims, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it.”

How can we humans move from avoiding sacrifice to willingly accepting it?
It is only with the help of the Lord that we can leave behind the selfishness that causes us to focus on self-fulfillment and embrace the sacrifice required to live according to the commands to love God, our neighbors and ourselves. If we refuse, our lives become shallow and worthless.

How can we accept the crosses of suffering that we are called to carry? 

Whether we suffer from emotional or physical pain or both, the Lord will help us if we remember we are not alone and ask for His help.  Sometimes, He sends family and/or friends to help and cheer us. If we surrender to the Lord and embrace our crosses, our lives can bear much fruit.

The following Christian Hymn is one of my favorites:


All to Jesus I Surrender   
Published 1896

Words by Judson W. Van De Venter 
Music by Winfield S. Weeden 

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
Refrain:
I surrender all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.
All to Jesus I surrender,
Humbly at His feet I bow;
Worldly pleasures all forsaken,
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
All to Jesus I surrender,
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine. 
  1. All to Jesus I surrender,
    Lord, I give myself to Thee;
    Fill me with Thy love and power,
    Let Thy blessing fall on me.
  2. All to Jesus I surrender,
    Now I feel the sacred flame;
    Oh, the joy of full salvation!
    Glory, glory, to His Name!

One can hear this hymn being sung on YouTube.

 Reflection Question:  Like Simon of Cyrene, who helped Jesus carry His cross, how can I reach out to help someone carry his or her cross?


Spanish Translation of Reflection Above...
Toma tu Cruz


En el Evangelio de este domingo, encontramos a Jesús comenzando a preparar a los discípulos para la Pasión. Primero, intenta fortalecer su fe en él al preguntar... “¿Quién dices que soy yo?”. Cuando se le pide que responda a esa pregunta, uno necesita tocar las profundidades de su alma. Uno necesita alcanzar la verdad que yace en lo profundo de su ser. Pedro, el portavoz de los doce, exclama:
“Tú eres el Cristo”.

Jesús sabía que los discípulos necesitaban una fe fuerte para aceptar lo que
Él estaba a punto de enseñarles. ¿Pueden imaginarse lo sorprendidos que debieron haber estado cuando Jesús les dijo que él debía “sufrir mucho y ser rechazado por los ancianos, los principales sacerdotes y los escribas, y ser asesinado, y resucitar después de tres días”? A pesar de que las Escrituras habían prefigurado esto, como humanos, naturalmente, normalmente no
nos gusta pensar en el sufrimiento. Espontáneamente, Pedro reprende a Jesús
por mencionarlo.

Jesús responde con fuerza: “Quítate de delante mío, Satanás. No piensas como Dios lo hace, sino como lo hacen los seres humanos”. Jesús entonces reúne a una multitud con sus discípulos y proclama: “El que quiera venir en pos de mí, niéguese a sí mismo, tome su cruz y sígame. Porque quien quiera salvar su vida la perderá, pero quien pierda su vida por mi causa y la del Evangelio,
la salvará”.


¿Cómo podemos los humanos pasar de evitar el
sacrificio a aceptarlo de buena gana?


Es solo con la ayuda del Señor que podemos dejar atrás el egoísmo que nos hace enfocarnos en la autorrealización y abrazar el sacrificio requerido para vivir de acuerdo con los mandatos de amar a Dios, a nuestros vecinos y a nosotros mismos. Si nos negamos, nuestras vidas se vuelven superficiales y sin valor.


¿Cómo podemos aceptar las cruces del sufrimiento
que estamos llamados a llevar?

Ya sea que suframos dolor emocional o físico o ambos, el Señor nos ayudará si recordamos que no estamos solos y le pedimos su ayuda. A veces, envía a familiares y / o amigos a ayudarnos y animarnos. Si nos rendimos al Señor y abrazamos nuestras cruces, nuestras vidas pueden dar mucho fruto.

El siguiente Himno Cristiano es uno de mis favoritos:

Todo a Jesús, me entrego  
Publicado 1896

Palabras de Judson W. Van De Venter
Música de Winfield S. Weeden 
  1. Todo a Jesús, me rindo,
    Todo a Él lo doy libremente.
    Siempre amaré y confiaré en Él,
    En su presencia diariamente en vivo.
    Estribillo:
    Entrego todo,
    Entrego todo;
    Todo para Ti, mi bendito Salvador,
    Me entrego todo.
    Todo a Jesús, me rindo,
    Humildemente a Sus pies me inclino;
    Placeres mundanos todos abandonados,
    Tómame, Jesús, tómame ahora.
    Todo a Jesús, me rindo,
    Hazme, Salvador, completamente tuyo;
    Déjame sentir el Espíritu Santo,
    Verdaderamente sé que eres mío.
    1. Todo a Jesús, me rindo,
      Señor, me entrego a Ti;
      Lléname con tu amor y poder,
      Deja que tu bendición caiga sobre mí.
    2. Todo a Jesús, me rindo,
      Ahora siento la llama sagrada;
      ¡Oh, la alegría de la salvación completa!
      Gloria, gloria, a su nombre!

Uno puede escuchar este himno siendo cantado en YouTube.

  Pregunta de reflexión:  Al igual que Simón de Cirene, quien ayudó a Jesús a llevar su cruz, ¿cómo puedo tender la mano para ayudar a alguien a llevar su cruz?

No comments:

Post a Comment