Monday, February 25, 2019

March 3, 2019 - Take a Closer Look

Eighth Sunday Ordinary Time C / Ash Wednesday


Reading I: 
Sirach 27:4-7

Psalm:  92

Reading II: 
1 Corinthians
15:54-58

Gospel: 
Luke 6:39-45

In today’s Gospel, the Lord asks us to consider why we notice the splinter in our brother’s eye and not notice the beam in our own eye. This seems to be a good reflection as we enter into the season of Lent. The Lord is asking us to take a closer look at ourselves.

Often when we criticize someone, we are noticing a fault of our own in that person. I knew a woman who talked so much that people avoided her. One time after talking with her sister on the telephone for a long time, she exclaimed, “My sister never stops talking!” She never realized that she did the same thing herself.

Another way is to listen to what people say to us. When they say something positive, that can be wonderful encouragement. Then, there may be times when they are critical. Sometimes they are wrong, but if we humbly listen, we might
be able to learn something which will ultimately help us.


Listening to ourselves is another door to self-knowledge. Luke chapter 6, verse 45 states that “the words of the mouth flow out of what fills the heart.” This might require an examination of conscience at the end of the day. In our hurried existence, we ordinarily do not reflect on our actions and words of the day.

During the Lenten Season, we are called to renew ourselves as we
seek to enter into a closer, more generous relationship with the Lord
and our brothers and sisters. Some of the traditional ways to grow in our relationships are through prayer, fasting, and outreach to those in need.

Let us ask the Lord what he wants of us this Lent.




Since St. Katharine Drexel went home to God on March 3, 1955, we celebrate her feast on this day.  She is the patroness of racial justice. You can join in the Feast Day Novena prayed daily between Feb. 22 - Mar. 2 by clicking this link to the SBS web Novena page. There you can view and download the Novena brochure.

 Reflection:  Let us ask St. Katharine to help the people of the United States to see every person as a beloved child of God, no matter what the color of their skin or their national origin. Let us embrace one another as true brothers and sisters of a loving Heavenly Father. 




1 comment:

  1. My beloved Aunt Doris always considered this Scripture passage to be an indication of Jesus’ sense of humor. I had a hard time with that initially, but the more I came to accept the truth of the lesson, the more I appreciate His instruction. My version of Jesus’ message is that we ought to judge lightly because, in essence, we are looking in the mirror when we criticize the shortcomings of others. If we can name it, we can claim it!
    I recall expressing to my friend, my irritation at a family member who did nothing but complain all the time. My friend commented that I see those negative traits in my relative because those same unflattering qualities reside within me. I was insulted! Outrated! How could that be? People liked being around me because I am upbeat! Oops – time to remove the plank in my eye, and plucking it out was painful. Rarely do I recognize the limits of my own vision. Once I could “see” the duality, I made it a point to notice the good in others, in hope that if I am noticing good traits, they will, likewise, blossom in me.

    ReplyDelete