Monday, October 29, 2018

Nov. 4, 2018 The First Commandment

The Thirty-First Sunday in Ordinary Time-Year B

Reading I:  Deuteronomy 6: 2-6

Psalm:  18

Reading II:  Hebrews 7: 23-28

Gospel:  Mark 12 :28b-34


In today’s Gospel, the scribe asks Jesus: “What is the first commandment?” Jesus responds: “Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is Lord alone! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.” The command to love is certainly a simple one.  However, it is also very challenging:

         Love is patient and kind; 
         
love is not jealous or boastful; 

         it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way;
         it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong,
         but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things,
         hopes all things, endures all things; 

         Love never ends.     - 1 Cor. 13:4-8

God is love by nature. His love is already perfect. He loves us totally and unconditionally and is present to us always. He chose to help us to be more aware of His presence by giving us the Eucharist, so we can adore him under the appearance of bread and wine.

However, for us, love is an ideal, something regarded as perfect.  We need to ask God’s help and work at it daily. Mothers have to teach little ones to share since they have a tendency toward selfishness. Unless encouraged to help and give to others that self-centered trait can continue into adulthood. The practice of having volunteer service as a requirement for the sacrament of Confirmation is a positive way of introducing youth to the need to reach out to others in love.

In my mother’s later days, I can recall her saying to me one day: “You were always a ‘doll’ (meaning perfect).”  My response was, “I was not always a ‘doll’.” I could recall my being self-centered and lacking in thoughtfulness at times. Her simple answer was: “You were only human.”  What a gift that was to me! 

Like most people, after a loved one dies, I sometimes feel guilty that I had not been more attentive to my mother. At those times, her consoling words come back to me and give me peace.

St. Katharine used to pray that she would love God as much as he deserved to be loved. I used to say that prayer also. However,  I have now changed it to — help me to love you according to the grace you give me. Loving him as He deserves is beyond my ability.

Again, I feel my limitations when I cannot keep up with family and friends as much as I would like.  I have to be content that the Lord is able to be with them and care for them at all times. I have to remember that I am “only human” and do the best I can.

Thank God for his unlimited,  unconditional, and eternal love! 

  Reflection Question:     Which love needs my attention most now?

Spanish Translation of Reflection Above...

El Primer Mandamiento



En el Evangelio de hoy, el escriba le pregunta a Jesús:  ¿Cuál es el primer mandamiento? Jesús responde: ¡Oye, Israel! ¡El Señor nuestro Dios es el Señor solo! Amarás al Señor tu Dios con todo tu corazón, con toda tu alma, con toda tu mente y con todas tus fuerzas”. El mandato de amar es ciertamente simple. Sin embargo, también es muy desafiante:

        El amor es paciente y amable; El amor no es celoso ni jactancioso;         
        no es arrogante ni grosero. El amor no insiste a su manera;
        no es irritable ni resentido; no se regocija en el mal,
        pero se regocija en la derecha.
        El amor lleva todas las cosas, cree todas las cosas,
 
        spera todas las cosas, soporta todas las cosas; 
        El amor nunca termina.     - 1 Cor. 13:4-8

Dios es amor por naturaleza. Su amor ya es perfecto. Él nos ama total e incondicionalmente y está presente para nosotros siempre. Eligió ayudarnos a ser más conscientes de su presencia al darnos la Eucaristía, para que podamos adorarlo bajo la apariencia de pan y vino.

Sin embargo, para nosotros, el amor es un ideal, algo que se considera perfecto. Necesitamos pedir la ayuda de Dios y trabajar en ello diariamente. Las madres tienen que enseñar a los pequeños a compartir, ya que tienen una tendencia hacia el egoísmo. A menos que se los aliente a ayudar y dar a otros, ese rasgo egocéntrico puede continuar hasta la edad adulta. La práctica de tener el servicio voluntario como un requisito para el sacramento de la Confirmación es una forma positiva de presentar a los jóvenes la necesidad de llegar a otros en amor.

En los últimos días de mi madre, puedo recordar que un día me dijo: Siempre fuiste una ‘muñeca’ (que significa perfecto)”.  Mi respuesta fue: No siempre fui una ‘muñeca’.” Centrado y carente de reflexión a veces. Su respuesta simple fue: Sólo eras humano”.  ¡Qué regalo que fue para mí!

Como la mayoría de las personas, después de que muere un ser querido, a veces me siento culpable por no haber estado más atento a mi madre. En esos momentos, sus palabras consoladoras regresan a mí y me dan paz.

St. Katharine used to pray that she would love God as much as he deserved to be loved. I used to say that prayer also. However,  I have now changed it to — help me to love you according to the grace you give me. Loving him as He deserves is beyond my ability.

Nuevamente, siento mis limitaciones cuando no puedo mantenerme al tanto de la familia y los amigos tanto como me gustaría. Tengo que contentarme con que el Señor pueda estar con ellos y cuidarlos en todo momento. Tengo que recordar que soy “solo humano” y hacer lo mejor que puedo.

¡Gracias a Dios por su amor ilimitado, incondicional y eterno!

  Pregunta de reflexión:     ¿Qué amor necesita mi atención ahora?

No comments:

Post a Comment