Monday, November 25, 2019

Dec. 1, 2019 First Sunday of Advent

December 1, 2019   First Sunday of Advent   Year A

Reading I: 
Isaiah 2:1-5


Psalm:   122

Reading II: 
Romans 13:11-14


Gospel: 
Matthew 24:37-44





Here we are at the beginning of a new liturgical year: the first week of Advent.

Advent means “coming” and we are about to focus on the many ways God comes to us. We will begin by looking back at the coming of Jesus to be with
us and to share our human experiences of joy, sorrow, and pain.


The “comings” are expressions of God’s love for us. In John’s Gospel, he reminds us “...God loved the world so much that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him may not die but have eternal life.”
(John 3:16)


The comings into the hearts of Christians inspire Christ-like love and concern for others, especially during the Advent and Christmas Seasons. There are gifts and visits to loved ones. There are meals for the homeless. Toys are collected for less fortunate children. There is Christmas entertainment for senior citizens. Visits to the home-bound help to dispel loneliness. All these expressions of love create the Christmas Spirit, bringing happiness to many.

On the other hand, there are those who suffer greatly during this time, while grieving over the loss of loved ones through death or broken relationships. It is a time when thoughtful family members and friends can help by giving some extra attention to those in need of comfort.

The Advent and Christmas Seasons also provide opportunities to begin to mend strained relationships within families and with others. Sending a Christmas card or gift might break the ice which has kept individuals apart.

Finally, Advent is a time to remember that Jesus said that “Whatever you did to the least of your brethren you did it to Me!” (Matthew 20:40). Be prepared for the coming of Christ in a needy person whether emotionally, physically, or financially. Let us also invite him to come and be born in our hearts. 
Come, Lord Jesus!

 Reflection Question:  How can I keep myself alert to the coming of Christ to me today?


Spanish Translation of Reflection Above...
Primer Domingo de Adviento 

Aquí estamos al comienzo de un nuevo año litúrgico: la primera semana de Adviento. Adviento significa “venir” y estamos a punto de enfocarnos en las muchas formas en que Dios viene a nosotros. Comenzaremos recordando la venida de Jesús para estar con nosotros y compartir nuestras experiencias humanas de alegría, tristeza y dolor.

The viene son expresiones del amor de Dios por nosotros. En el Evangelio de Juan, nos recuerda “...Dios amó tanto al mundo que dio a su único Hijo, para que todos los que creen en él no mueran, sino que tengan vida eterna”. (Juan 3:16)

Las venidas a los corazones de los cristianos inspiran amor y preocupación por los demás como Cristo, especialmente durante las temporadas de Adviento y Navidad. Hay regalos y visitas a seres queridos. Hay comidas para personas sin hogar. Se recogen juguetes para niños menos afortunados. Hay entretenimiento navideño para personas mayores. Visitas a la ayuda domiciliaria para disipar la soledad. Todas estas expresiones de amor crean el espíritu navideño, trayendo felicidad a muchos.

Por otro lado, hay quienes sufren mucho durante este tiempo, mientras lloran por la pérdida de seres queridos a causa de la muerte o las relaciones rotas. Es un momento en que los familiares y amigos reflexivos pueden ayudar prestando atención adicional a aquellos que necesitan consuelo.

Las temporadas de Adviento y Navidad también brindan oportunidades para comenzar a reparar las relaciones tensas dentro de las familias y con los demás. Enviar una tarjeta de Navidad o un regalo puede romper el hielo que ha mantenido a las personas separadas.

Finalmente, el Adviento es un tiempo para recordar que Jesús dijo que 
¡Lo que sea que le hiciste al menor de tus hermanos me lo hiciste!” (Mateo 20:40). Prepárese para la venida de Cristo en una persona necesitada, ya sea emocional, física o económicamente. Invitémoslo también a venir y nacer en nuestros corazones.
¡Ven Señor Jesús!

 Pregunta de Reflexíon:  ¿Cómo puedo mantenerme alerta a la venida de Cristo a mí hoy?


Comments:


Stephanie Morris, Ph. D, Historian, Certified Archivist, emerita

Do you have a special place for thinking of God? I can sit in a quiet corner of the church after Mass and wait for God to speak to me. Did a special phrase in today’s Mass call out to me? The words of the Consecration, “This is My Body, given up for you,” calls me to “give up” my aches and pains in atonement for my sins or for the anger so prevalent in the world today. St. Katharine noted that “Grace must find calm to grow.” We need to find a calm, quiet spot or moment to permit grace to grow in us.


Pat Chiaffa, ASBS

Preparation for the Christmas season always shifts me into high gear. Cleaning, decorating, writing greeting cards, shopping for food and gifts, meal planning, party going, baking and cooking…I’m feeling exhausted just writing these chores down. For as long as I can
remember, my holiday mantra is “there is never enough time.” My recurring pattern is one of accomplishing tasks; I’m a woman on a mission. However, it’s the wrong mission. The season of Christmas is about welcoming Christ into our hearts.

It takes focused attention to not fall into the throes of consumerism – our culture’s idea of Happy Holidays with all the outward dazzling sights and sounds- and to prepare to nurture our Spirit by turning within to clear the clutter in our hearts and souls to create the space to receive Christ anew with His offering of peace, light and life. 

Christ presents Himself to me in the homeless person, the grieving individual, the lonely elderly man or woman whom I might not notice as I rush past them with my arms and head full of stuff, anxious to check off another task on my “to-do” list.   Christmas is about Jesus. Jesus is about love, and His love is meant to be shared.

I genuinely appreciate your blog as we enter into Advent. I am going to make a sincere effort to slow down enough to notice the opportunities that come to me – to acknowledge the homeless person, comfort the mourning one, to listen to the pain of the old man or woman. The daily practice of meditating on the ‘reason for the season’ will help me transition from “doing to being” so I’ll have a gift to offer the Christ Child. This is truly the most important Advent preparation that matters and endures.

1 comment:

  1. EFFECTIVE AND POWERFUL LOVE SPELL CASTER FOR ANY KIND OF PROBLEM YOU WANT TO SOLVE ON THIS YEAR THANKSGIVING AND XMAS CELEBRATION


    am from USA, would want to tell you all that i was able to put an end to my divorce issue and restore my marriage again, because i never wanted it to happen. i don’t know what came over my husband that he was filling for divorce, i etried to talk him out of it when he told me and he didn’t listen to me, i had no other option than to seek for the help of a spell caster and now am glad i did. Because if not for the help of spell, i don’t know what would have become of me by now because i loved my husband so much that i couldn’t stand loosing him. The spell worked like magic with the way and manner my husband change and started showing love instead of the divorce he was planning. i just too happy that everything is in place for me now. I would gladly recommend the use of spell to any one going through marriage problems and want to put an end to it. [gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com , gbojiespiritualtemple@yahoo.com was were i got the help to restore my marriage]
    website: http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me

    ReplyDelete