Monday, October 28, 2019

November 3, 2019 Jesus Calls Sinners

November 3, 2019    Jesus Calls Sinners  - Year C


Image © LUMO Project
Reading I: 
Wisdom 11:
22-12:2

Psalm:  145

Reading II:  2 Thessalonians 1:
11-2:2

Gospel: 
Luke 19: 1-10

In Luke’s Gospel, we witness Jesus’ befriending a chief tax collector, Zacchaeus. The people in the area considered such tax collectors to be serious sinners since they became wealthy because of the portion they took out of the duties charged on exports and imports. They were deeply resented by their neighbors.

Zacchaeus heard that Jesus would be passing by and wanted to see Him. Being short of stature, he knew he would not be able to see Jesus above the crowd. However, he was determined to view this preacher and miracle worker. Therefore, he chose to climb a Sycamore tree to see Jesus, even though he would be disdained and possibly ridiculed by the crowd.

Knowing the attitude of the people, why did Jesus choose to request to dine with Zacchaeus in the sinner’s own home? Jesus came to save sinners so He accepted him as he was. Also, Jesus saw the potential in him to change. He knew that Zacchaeus had a basically good heart. Jesus was going to touch that heart in a special way.

How shocked many in the crowd must have been when they heard Jesus ask to dine in Zacchaeus’ house! How honored Zacchaeus must have felt to have this holy man visit in his home!

Jesus’ visit was about to bring a drastic change in the life of Zacchaeus. This tax collector exclaimed: “Behold, half of my possessions, Lord, I shall give to the poor, and if I have extorted anything from anyone, I shall repay it four times over.” Jesus warmly responds: “Today salvation has come to this house because this man, too, is a descendant of Abraham. For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save what was lost.”

God calls some of us to make serious changes in our lives through special life events. We are all familiar with Saints like St. Francis and St. Theresa of Calcutta. However, on a smaller scale this happens to ordinary people, too.

As a Sister of St. Joseph of Boston, I had enjoyed my Community living and serving as an instructor and campus minister at Aquinas Junior College (later Aquinas College), in Newton, Massachusetts. I had been there for about 10 years when an experience at an English Teacher’s Convention began a change in
my life.

The guest speaker recited speeches of some prominent Native American orators. The speech by Chief Joseph in which he laments the fact that he had not been able to fulfill a promise to his father when he was dying pierced my heart. He had assured his father that he would never sell the land in which his bones were buried. Nevertheless, the Government had taken over the land, and Chief Joseph had not been able to prevent it. I was convinced that more educated Native lawyers might be able to prevent such actions in the future.

Being an only child, caring for my father at the time, I did what I could and began incorporating Native American Literature into my English Classes in order to raise their awareness of injustices.  I also subscribed to some Native newspapers.

On the front page of one newspaper, was an article about an educated Native woman who went to a clinic for a health issue and was told that she needed a hysterectomy.  She knew that was not correct, so she called for an investigation which revealed that any woman of child-bearing age who went to that clinic was told that she needed a hysterectomy. In other words, the clinic was involved in genocide. That made me very angry and convinced me that quality education for Native people could be a solution.

When my father went home to God, I asked to go West, first to the Cheyenne Reservation in South Dakota, where I had a serious injury to my leg and foot. I was recalled to Boston
because of concern that I would not receive good medical care on the Reservation.

After receiving excellent care at Bethany Healthcare Center, I returned West, this time to St. Catherine Indian School in Santa Fe New Mexico. Living with the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament and impressed by their spirituality and ministries, I felt the call to transfer to the SBS Community.  During the transition period, I gained experience in both the African American and Native American ministries. With the approval of both Communities, I was able to make the transfer of vows.

Looking back over the experiences which led me to make a change that I never even would have imagined, I recognize that the Lord was leading me on a journey that he had in his plan for me.

 Reflection Question:   When you look back on your life, what experience(s) do you recognize as part of God’s plan in your life journey?



Spanish Translation of Reflection Above...
Jesús Llama Pescadores

En el Evangelio de Lucas, somos testigos de la amistad de Jesús con un recaudador de impuestos, Zaqueo. Las personas en el área consideraban que tales recaudadores de impuestos eran pecadores serios desde que se hicieron ricos debido a la porción que sacaron de los aranceles cobrados a las exportaciones e importaciones. Estaban profundamente resentidos por sus vecinos.

Zaqueo escuchó que Jesús pasaría y quiso verlo. Al ser de baja estatura, sabía que no sería capaz de ver a Jesús por encima de la multitud. Sin embargo, estaba decidido a ver a este predicador y hacedor de milagros. Por lo tanto, decidió escalar un árbol de sicómoro para ver a Jesús, a pesar de que la multitud lo despreciaría y posiblemente lo ridiculizaría.

Conociendo la actitud de la gente, ¿por qué Jesús eligió pedir cenar con Zaqueo en la propia casa del pecador? Jesús vino a salvar a los pecadores, así que lo aceptó tal como era. Además, Jesús vio el potencial en él para cambiar. Sabía que Zaqueo tenía un corazón básicamente bueno. Jesús iba a tocar ese corazón de una manera especial.

¡Qué conmocionados debieron haber estado muchos en la multitud cuando escucharon a Jesús pedir cenar en la casa de Zaqueo! ¡Cuán honrado debe haberse sentido Zaqueo al recibir a este hombre santo en su hogar!

La visita de Jesús estaba a punto de traer un cambio drástico en la vida de Zaqueo. Este recaudador de impuestos exclamó: “He aquí, la mitad de mis posesiones, Señor, se las daré a los pobres, y si le he extorsionado a alguien, se lo devolveré cuatro veces”.  Jesús responde calurosamente: “Hoy ha llegado la salvación a esta casa porque este hombre También es descendiente de Abraham. Porque el Hijo del Hombre ha venido a buscar y salvar lo que se perdió”.

Dios nos llama a algunos de nosotros a hacer cambios serios en nuestras vidas a través de eventos especiales de la vida. Todos estamos familiarizados con santos como San Francisco y Santa Teresa de Calcuta. Sin embargo, a menor escala esto también le sucede a la gente común.

Como Hermana de San José de Boston, disfruté de mi comunidad viviendo y sirviendo como instructora y ministra del campus en Aquinas Junior College (luego Aquinas College), en Newton, Massachusetts. Había estado allí durante unos 10 años cuando una experiencia en una Convención de profesores de inglés comenzó un cambio en mi vida.

El orador invitado recitó discursos de algunos prominentes oradores nativos americanos. El discurso del jefe Joseph en el que lamenta el hecho de que no había podido cumplir una promesa a su padre cuando se estaba muriendo me atravesó el corazón. Le había asegurado a su padre que nunca vendería la tierra en la que estaban enterrados sus huesos. Sin embargo, el gobierno se había apoderado de la tierra y el jefe Joseph no había podido evitarlo. Estaba convencido de que los abogados nativos más educados podrían prevenir tales acciones en el futuro.

Siendo hijo único, cuidando a mi padre en ese momento, hice lo que pude y comencé a incorporar literatura nativa americana en mis clases de inglés para aumentar su conciencia de las injusticias. También me suscribí a algunos periódicos nativos.

En la primera plana de un periódico, había un artículo sobre una mujer nativa educada que fue a una clínica por un problema de salud y le dijeron que necesitaba una histerectomía. Sabía que eso no era correcto, por lo que solicitó una investigación que revelara que a cualquier mujer en edad fértil que fuera a esa clínica le dijeron que necesitaba una histerectomía. En otras palabras, la clínica estuvo involucrada en genocidio. Eso me enojó mucho y me convenció de que una educación de calidad para los nativos podría ser una solución.

Cuando mi padre se fue a casa con Dios, pedí ir al oeste, primero a la Reserva Cheyenne en Dakota del Sur, donde tuve una lesión grave en la pierna y el pie. Fui llamado a Boston por preocupación de que no recibiría buena atención médica en la Reserva.

Después de recibir una atención excelente en Bethany Healthcare Center, regresé al oeste, esta vez a la escuela de indios St. Catherine en Santa Fe, Nuevo México. Viviendo con las Hermanas del Santísimo Sacramento e impresionado por su espiritualidad y ministerios, sentí el llamado a transferirme a la Comunidad SBS. Durante el período de transición, gané experiencia en los ministerios afroamericanos y nativos americanos. Con la aprobación de ambas Comunidades, pude hacer la transferencia de votos.

Mirando hacia atrás a las experiencias que me llevaron a hacer un cambio que nunca hubiera imaginado, reconozco que el Señor me estaba guiando en un viaje que tenía en su plan para mí.


 Pregunta de Reflexíon
:   
Cuando miras hacia atrás en tu vida, ¿qué experiencia(s) reconoces como parte del plan de Dios en el viaje de tu vida?

Comments:

Stephanie Morris, Ph. D, Historian, Certified Archivist, emerita

Several times God changed the direction of my life.  One job seemed the “ideal” job but ended within a year. While working at that full-time job, I had heard about a part-time job. I dismissed it because I had the job I thought I wanted. The part-time job was still open so I applied and was hired. That position became special to me. I met the archivist of the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament during professional meetings. Six years later the job ended. I looked into the SBS and was hired, at first part-time and later full-time. Working during the Canonization of St. Katharine Drexel in 2000 was a remarkable experience. Like Zacchaeus, I have learned to be open to the plan of God in unexpected events that enter my life.

Pat Chiaffa, ASBS

Your statement, “God calls some of us (ordinary folks) to make serious changes in our lives through special events,” resonates with me strongly. Increasing demands of caretaking developed quickly and I found myself emerged into caring and making decisions for my mother – simultaneously working full-time and running my own household. It wasn’t until I read an essay in a Guidepost booklet for caregivers that I understood that Jesus was calling me to a new lifestyle, much like he did with Zacchaeus. The insight from that article changed my perspective and opened me to receive the accompanying love of the Lord that has come to be my lifeline to accepting and managing my new routines. 
I treasured time as deeply as Zacchaeus cherished wealth. The changes Jesus asks of us often require us to sacrifice our valued “possessions.” However, the amazing thing is that the “cost of the loss” lessens the closer we step toward the Lord. I often reflect on the seasons of life that Ecclesiastes 3:11 speaks of: ”…A time to turn away, a time to embrace; A time to tear and a time to mend.” Sometimes, the life changes we are drawn to, or thrust into, offer opportunities for growth that we never envisioned. I am the one in need of healing. My wholeness and holiness will be brought forth through the daily ministering to my mother’s needs. 
Rick Warren states that “Every time you’re generous, a change takes place in you. Every time you give, your heart moves another tweak up the dial toward God. You become more loving every time you give. You become more like Jesus.” The path to my salvation is being custom-designed by the Master. I just need to take baby steps every day to get a little further along the path. 
Sometimes the Lord sends us down a path consisting of a life-changing diagnosis, heart-wrenching parenting challenges, or of unimagined traumas. These situations lead us directly into His arms and into the awareness of our total dependence on Him. While not a journey we would volunteer to take, we evolve into a stronger, more compassionate version of ourselves seeking to support others being called down a similar route.
Sometimes the Lord’s challenge is nothing short of miraculous. I recently read a synopsis of the story of Mitch Albom, author, journalist and radio and television broadcaster. He headed the Have Faith Haiti Orphanage/Mission in Port-au-Prince and his life was forever changed with one phone call informing him of a very sick child who needed care beyond what was available in Haiti. He and his wife were a childless couple in their 50’s at the time. They quickly became “parents” to little Chika who they bought to the United States to live with them while she received the best medical care available.  Chika, endeared as their “little angel” had a rare aggressive brain tumor. They fell in love with this child and dedicated their time and resources to her survival. Unfortunately, a cure was not to be had. Their hearts and souls were enlivened by this precious sick little girl. Mitch writes, “the parenting process never felt like a burden. It was more like a new purpose we had suddenly tumbled into…Incomparable journey…Endless memories…Limitless Love. 
The Father wants nothing less for us. If we trust His ways and open to the possibilities, we will indeed look back on our lives and see the hand of God leading us on an incredible journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment